Sunday, February 7, 2010

What a stress filled week we've had....

Let's see, I've been absolutely terrible about keeping regular updates so that won't be a "New Years Resolution" again but I will try to do better so here goes...

The "good" news...

Gracie is doing pretty good in school right now. She still needs to get some help from OT but the school is still declining. I talked to her health care coordinator and we're working on a few options we have.

Boo is doing OK but he has a low grade temp and a cruddy cough so we're hitting the doctor in the morning just to be safe. I refuse to have a hospital stay because I didn't get antibiotics quick enough.

We had a lovely snow storm over the weekend. The kids even got to leave school early on Friday. It was only about 2 hours early so they don't have to make it up.

Last week my MIL came to stay with us for a while. She's going to live with or near my SIL later but SIL is moving to another state so she's going to get settled first. MIL may even get to be there when SIL has her first baby if all goes smoothly. That will be nice for both of them. MIL has been here for the baby time with both of ours so it will be nice to have that for SIL.

The "not so good" news...

Lastly, my wonderful grandmother passed away sometime Thurs night very unexpectedly. I think right now it's not really sinking in. I will miss her dearly...she's the only on who really understood the "mommy" side of having a special needs child. (You know "been there, done that" kinda thing.) My sister and I were talking about it yesterday. You see we have a rather different view of death. We both have worked with geriatric patients for many years and it's a part of life for us. I've been home for several years now but I still see things very differently than many members of my family do. I will miss her very much as I still do my grandpa but I'm not sad for her. She would have turned 79 in about 2 weeks. All in all she was pretty healthy and still able to be completely on her own. She drove herself and didn't need any homecare aides. She raised 9 children and helped raise many of her grandchildren and even great-grandchildren. She was here to see and hold some of her great-great grandchildren. How many people get to do that? She was able to complete her GED last year which was a huge goal for her. She's spent the last 2 years doing what she wanted when she wanted. I'm sad that she didn't get to go on the cruise my parents were planning for all of them this spring. I'm glad she didn't suffer-because I'm sure she didn't. I really feel that God called her and it was not a bad thing. Before my grandpa (her husband) passed a few years ago I was with him in the hospital and we were talking. I told him I wasn't ready for him to go and that it wasn't fair. He simply told me it was his time and he was OK with it. I guess that was all I needed to hear because after that I spent as much time as I could with him and when he passed, I was OK with it. My mother was able to spend most of the day with her mom the day she passed. I thank God for that. While we didn't get to prepare and say goodbye like we did with grandpa I know grandma is right where she should be and that she's happy now. There's no doubt. I will miss her as will all of my family but I am not sad-I refuse to be. She lived a long and full life. That is what I will treasure. I make a point of not taking note of dates when people pass because I feel like that is not what they would want me to remember or dwell on. Instead I choose to remember as many positive things as I can. From my grandmother I learned many things.
I gained a love of sewing, gardening, cooking, and family time. I see the importance of being there for your children passed down to my mother and then to me. I see many little things I picked up from her. I've really begun to notice them these last few days. Life wasn't always easy for her and grandpa. I know there were a lot more challenges than I will ever be told. I wish I had gone to Christmas last year and had her fill in a bit more of my memory book but unfortunately that cannot be changed. I will write what I know from memory and ask mom about the rest. We'll make note of what we can and the rest will just be unwritten memories. I miss you grandma and grandpa.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment