Saturday, May 21, 2011

New job, no summer school

Well I finally got on at our local hospital. OK, I work PRN for the Medical Assistant float pool thru the main family practice office but who cares. It's crazy hard to get any of those positions and now I have my foot in the door. I was told it can easily turn into a full time position with one of the local practices that use the floats. That's actually how there were 2 openings, those 2 floats were hired on full time at some of the offices. I like the sound of that but the flexibility of floating sounds wonderful to me.
Unfortunately there are no benefits (PTO, insurance, etc) since I'm considered PRN but I can also decided when I work with no repercussions for saying "no, I don't want to work that day". With my life & kids....that's a HUGE bonus! Plus it allows me to get back into the workforce but still be there for the kids. Win-win I say. :)
I have decided not to take any classes this summer. I really like being a Medical Assistant, which I already have an associates degree for. The whole college scene is just not where I want to be. I will still have to go back in January for 1 last class for my Spanish certification but I'm still debating whether or not to continue with the Massage certificate. All this time in college (3 quarters) and I've only taken 3 classes that count for it, all the others were Spanish. I just don't want to spend another $16,000 & 12 months for a degree I will barely if ever use. I can't justify it.
Actually though I'm not in summer school, there is a rather big possibility that my DD will be. For Language Arts of all things. That is usually one of her best classes. *sigh* Well she's just going to have to learn to get the things done when they're supposed to be even if it isn't when she wants to do them. Welcome to growing up sweetie!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your job!! Sounds great and I'm so happy that is so flexible! I definitely say WIN-WIN!!! Goodluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Vickie! Hope things are well with you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete